I love this recipe because it’s so tasty and easy to make. It’s incredibly creamy, smooth and can be eaten with fruits, used in a trifle or eaten on its own.
YIELD: 8 servings PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOK TIME: 15 minutes TOTAL TIME: 5 hours.
- 4 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 3 tbsp butter
- Slice the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds. Add the pod and seeds to the 4 cups of milk in a large saucepan over medium heat just until it just comes to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg yolks, rest of the milk, cornstarch, and sugar. Whisk is till everything is well combined.
- Once the milk is warmed, pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks while whisking continuously. This process is known as tempering. Note: Be careful not to pour scalding hot milk into the eggs as it may scramble. The best way to avoid this is to pour the milk in a steady stream while whisking continuously.
- Pour the milk-egg mixture back into the saucepan over low-medium heat, whisking constantly until it thickens to a pudding-like consistency. It can take anywhere between 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the butter and stir well to prevent a skin from forming. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding and refrigerate for 4-5 hours.
- Whisk until smooth before serving.