A luscious chocolatey creamy filling with a crunchy salty crust topped with whipped cream.
Can it get better?
I think not!
YIELD: 8 servings PREP TIME: 5 minutes COOK TIME: 15 minutes COOLING TIME: 4-5 hours
- 200g digestive biscuits
- 8 tbsp + 4 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 100g good quality dark chocolate
- 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a food processor, add the digestive biscuits and the 8 tbsp melted butter (I prefer using salted butter because the filling is quite sweet and the salty base really compliments it). Pulse for 30-60 seconds or until the mixture starts coming together.
- Line the base of your pie dish with this mixture and pat it down bringing it up to the sides. Refrigerate the base while you get on with the filling.
- In a saucepan, bring the yolks, milk, cornstarch and sugar to a boil. Keep stirring so it does not catch at the bottom of the saucepan. Once the mixture starts to thicken up, about 8-10 minutes, remove it from the heat and add the dark chocolate, butter, and cocoa powder.
- Add the vanilla extract and whisk until everything is well incorporated. Pour this mixture over the chilled biscuit base and refrigerate 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Whip the heavy cream till soft peaks form and top it over the pie.
Note: For an extra chocolatey pie, use oreo cookies instead of digestive biscuits.